2020: Eyes on the Election is the First Annual Conference and Election of Board Members and Officers of the Minnesota State Retiree Council, AFL-CIO.
The Conference is set for Wednesday, September 25 at the Sheet Metal Workers Local 10 Hall, 1681 Cope Avenue in Maplewood.
2020: Eyes on the Election, “aims to provide union retirees with information and motivation for meaningful involvement in the 2020 election. There will be booths on Social Security, Health Care Issues, the 2020 Census– and more– with people present to answer questions.”
The following speakers are confirmed:
- Secretary of State Steve Simon will review election security issues and the new schedule and mechanics for the presidential primary.
- Senator Tina Smith will greet and speak to the group by video.
- Buddy Robinson of the Minnesota Citizens Federation Northeast will present the latest on Social Security and how the issue may be part of the 2020 election campaign. The Retiree Council has partnered with Buddy in offering forums to share his program about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid for the last several years.
- Rose Roach, executive director of the Minnesota Nurses Association, will address health care issues and their importance in the 2020 campaign. Rose has negotiated health care contracts for nurses and is an advocate for health care reform.
- Elaine Rothman, a retired teacher and chair of the Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation Retiree Council (MRRC) Complete Count Committeewill review the importance and timetable of the 2020 census. She has been working on census issues for almost a year.
- Pommella Wegman, AFL-CIO Field Director, will bring the group the revised presidential primary/precinct caucus calendar and functions, an outline of the Labor 2020 timetable and goals, and how union retirees fit into this picture.
Registration begins at 9 on September 25.
At 2 p.m. the Conference will adjourn to have the Election of Officers and Board members. Credentials have been provided to every Retiree Council affiliate so they can register their voting delegates. Non-affiliated groups and individuals are welcome to attend.
For registration information, contact 651 227 7647, ext. 121.