The International Labor Communications Association has presented 13 awards to Minnesota’s labor media. The awards honor work produced in 2015. The ILCA labor media contest attracts submissions from across the U.S. and Canada from local, state, regional and national labor organizations, who compete with like-sized organizations.
Awards were presented at a luncheon in Washington, D.C., in early December.
AFSCME Council 5 won two awards: 2nd place for best multi-media campaign, “Minnesota WaterWorks,” by Trisha Harms and Lynette Kalsnes; 2nd place for best use of social media, “Local Safe Staffing,” by Trisha Harms.
The Minneapolis Labor Review, published by the Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation, won 3rd place for best photo essay or photo gallery for Steve Share’s photos in “Vikings Stadium Safety Walk,” published in the June 17, 2015 issue.
The Minnesota AFL-CIO won 2nd place for best long-form audio for Chris Shields’ Minnesota Works Podcast: “Safe Staffing on Workers Memorial Day.”
The St. Paul Union Advocate, published by the St. Paul Regional Labor Federation, won three awards: 3rd place for best front page/cover; 3rd place for best photograph; 3rd place for a special writing award about organizing — the Saul Miller Award — for “Taking Back What They Lost” by Michael Moore.
The University of Minnesota Labor Education Service won six awards:
- 1st place for best issues/advocacy video. “Safe Jobs Now!” a series about assaults on hospital workers, camera and editing by Randy Croce;
- 1st place for best long-form video, “Minneapolis Day of Action,” edited by Howard Kling;
- 1st place, general excellence, for the Workday Minnesota website, edited by Barb Kucera;
- 2nd place for best long-form video, “Building an Airport Workers Movement,” with camera and editing by Randy Croce and Howard Kling;
- 2nd place for best promotional video, “Construct Tomorrow,” edited by Howard Kling;
- 3rd place for best news video, “Super America Not Super for Workers,” edited by Randy Croce.
Membership in ILCA is open to labor media of all kinds. Learn more here.